From the fields and beehives to delicious and nutritious products, follow us on an amazing journey
From Mount Olympus to the island of Crete, we cultivate and harvest aromatic and medicinal plants from selected areas with unique quality characteristics. The landscape of each area, its soil properties, the environmental and climate conditions, all contribute to the amazing Greek biodiversity and elevate the natural properties of the herbs.
We implement the most cutting-edge technologies in organic and nomadic beekeeping. Our beehives are installed in areas with organic crops or with wild vegetation, away from any potential sources of pollution, so that all sources of pollen and nectar are natural. The hives are naturally disinfected, and even the wax used to build honeycombs comes from organic beekeeping (scrapings, old honeycombs).
Every aromatic plant is harvested at the ideal stage of growth and at the right time of year for each area. This maximizes yield in plant mass and content in active ingredients and essential oils. Many plants are harvested by hand, to protect their natural properties.
Humans and bees have a symbiotic relationship – without them, our ecosystem would collapse. We safeguard their survival by harvesting only 60% of the honey they produce – leaving the other 40% in the hive as food and medicine for the bees. The harvest and extraction of honey take place in highly sanitary facilities, to avoid any potential contamination by environmental microorganisms.
Raw materials are inspected upon delivery; they are disinfected using contemporary, green methods without any chemical insecticides, and preserved according to the strictest protocols. The humidity and temperature levels are monitored by data recorders, and a comprehensive pest control system is implemented to provide protection from harmful organisms.
In aromatic and medicinal plants, we consistently monitor specific parameters:
The beneficial activity of herbs is revealed via physicochemical analysis methods, including detection of Antioxidant Activity and Phenolic Content. The determination of antioxidant properties and total phenolic load reveals that they are a source rich in polyphenols, which are beneficial for human health as they combat free radicals and strengthen the body’s antioxidant defense. Checks include an organoleptic assessment carried out by specialized individuals and laboratories.
The beneficial action of honey is identified and quantified with physicochemical analysis methods. Checks include an organoleptic assessment carried out by specialized individuals and laboratories.
Aromatic and medicinal plants are micro-shredded or ground in a hammer mill, to preserve all their nutritional elements while achieving the desired volume for the final product. To enhance the natural biofunctionality and beneficial properties of our raw materials, we incorporate their active dry extracts – a Symbeeosis innovation – into our products with horizontal mixing to minimize processing. Herbs and teas are packaged in biodegradable pyramids and then in recyclable, plastic-free metal containers.
Honey is extremely sensitive – any hasty and careless standardization processes will ruin it. To protect its quality characteristics, we transport our honeycombs to the honey extraction facilities, where the honey is harvested in an entirely mechanical, sanitary, and safe way, with no processing or addition. Then, it is filtered through arrays of end filters with cross-sections that ensure that the pollen grains are preserved in the final product.
Following extraction, our honey is stored temporarily and packaged, without any processing that would alter its properties and origin, in a special area with excellent sanitation conditions and a state-of-the-art production line. We implement a HACCP quality assurance system to control the procedure, while also minimizing our environmental footprint as much as possible.
Our honey, with its exceptional quality characteristics, is already a superfood; for our bio-functional honeys, we elevate it to a super-superfood! We have developed an innovative method of fortifying our organic honey with active dry extracts from herbs and beekeeping products, so the final product has enhanced health benefits.
Final products go through several checks, in accordance with the quality assurance and food safety programs that we implement. In this context, each product is assessed in terms of the levels of bioactive substances, its appearance, texture, flavour, and aroma. We collaborate with academic and research institutions in Greece and abroad, for in vitro and in vivo bioactivity tests.
We are faithful to the “reduce – reuse – recycle – refill” philosophy – it informs our packaging design, minimizing waste